SMO stands for Social Media Optimization. It is an important part of digital marketing which helps our business to increase reach through different mediums like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Linked in etc. It is similar to SEO (Search Engine Optimization) but the main difference between SEO and SMO is that SEO help us to promote our website in different search engines like Google, Bing and Yahoo etc. through on-page SEO activities like Optimizing the entire website according to the search engine guidelines and off-page SEO activities like creating the backlinks on other authoritative websites with the help of directory submission, social bookmarking, social sharing, Quora etc. and SMO help us to promote our website through different social media channels. It helps us to reach to the targeted audience directly and keep them updated with our services which enable us to build our brand effectively.
Benefits of Social Media Optimization (SMO)-
- Helps to attract more customers in a short amount of time.
- Helps to reach to the targeted customers effectively.
- It is a very cost-effective method of digital marketing.
- Helps to boost the online visibility of the website organically.
- Helps to achieve loyal customers and fans.
Best Social Media Platforms for Marketing-
- Facebook- It is the best platform for marketing which helps us to engage with targeted customers directly by creating a business page because it has more than 500 million active users. 50% of these active users log on to Facebook in any given day and spend an average of 55 minutes using its services. Facebook users spend much more online than the average internet user. So, if you want to get more loyal customers or fans then it will be one of the best options for you.
- Twitter- Twitter now has more than 1 billion registered users. Twitter has become one of the most popular social networking services and has created many business growth opportunities for major companies who have taken their brand marketing from TV and Radio to the internet. So, if you want to build your brand and get the more followers then it will be the effective option for you.
- YouTube- YouTube is now the second largest search engine. According to com Score, it has 50% more searches than Yahoo and 180% more searches than Bing. YouTube has 300 million visitors every month who watch more than 12 billion videos. The average person spends 15 minutes a day on YouTube. Over 3 million people are an auto-sharing video to at least one social network. So, it will help you to generate more traffic to the website organically so it always will be the best option for choosing this medium for your marketing purpose.
- Linked in- If you want to get more business crowd on your website then Linked in is the effective method of marketing because the roots of popular sites like YouTube and Facebook are founded on the entertainment side of things. But since its creation, LinkedIn has been geared toward the professional business crowd. Executives from all major companies are LinkedIn members. The number of monthly visitors at LinkedIn.com keeps on growing at a spectacular level. As you can see from these facts, these services are truly no longer optional for forwarding looking businesses. So, choosing this method for marketing purpose will be a good idea for you because it helps you to generate more traffic to your website organically.
Common Myths about Social Media-
- Only the younger generation uses social media platforms.
- Social media platforms are similar to each other.
- Use of more hashtags helps to get more visibility.
- It is totally free of cost. It is the biggest myth because social media platforms are not fully free of cost because social media platforms also provide paid marketing option for their users which helps them to get more visibility in comparison to the organic method of marketing.